& Russian Altai Mountains
Within the framework of this workshop, Nick Bondarev and Max Muench will show you one of the wildest regions in the world, introduce you to the art of photography and tell you all about how to become a successful photographer in the modern world.
AUGUST 5 - 12, 2018
The trip will start in the city of Novosibirsk, where you can easily fly from Moscow directly. After the first welcome meet on August 5th, we'll set off in two cars towards Altai - the famous Russian mountain range. Over night we will be staying in a house on the banks of the Katun River. As distances are very big in Russia, the following day is dedicated to the road to the village of Kuray which is located in one of the most incredible places in Russia - the Kurai Steppe. This picturesque steppe is surrounded by the second highest mountain range in Russia with the highest point of 4260 meters above sea level and is well known for its strong energy and countless legends. We will spend the next day, August 7th, exploring all facets of this place. Spending the evenings around the fire, we are going to get deeper into the local culture and legends while taking atmospheric photos. In the morning of August 8th, we leave towards the Mongolian border, where we are going to visit Lake Tolbo Nuur. In the evening we will be introducing you into our methods of editing and post production. The next day we will meet Berkutchi - the eagle hunters who are famous for this specific region. The following days will be joining those hunters while they are showing us their home country, the wild lands of Mongolia.
Images by Nick Bondarev
During the time of workshop Nick and Max will share with you experience an knowledge that they received in many years of hard work in art industry.
- Photography. We will share our experiences in the fields of mobile, digital and film photography.
- Editing & post production. Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop introduction, mobile apps included.
- Social Media Marketing. Learn how to enhance your Instagram and how to build your own community.
- Stock photography. Insights in Adobe Stock and Stocksy
We will tell you our stories, and give all possible advises how to create your own style, find your audience and start working with large companies and brands. Let's find answers to your personal questions and goals!
Nick Bondarev - Russian book writer, expedition photographer, owner of "Northern Winds" travel company. He creates stories about the interaction of man and wild nature, the history of cultures that are threatened with extinction. He is trying to convey to the wide audience the existence of other worlds and the importance of their preservation. Worlds, in which the 21st century is dominated by the power of nature, not technology. Where survival and the standard of living of a person are directly dependent on skills hacks in interaction with nature and other people.
Max Muench is a Berlin based photographer spezialised in outdoor, landscape and adventure. By following his passion to travel, he captures the beauty and diversity of our planet, always looking for a fresh perspective and an unique story. His photography works as the key link between an engaged community and progressive companies as well as modern brands & tourism boards.
Max Muench is also project manager of German Roamers, Europe's biggest outdoor community on Instagram.
Comfort & Safety
Certainly, it is most important to us to keep you safe and provide maximum comfort while traveling through such a wild area:
- During the workshop, we will live in the most comfortable conditions of all possible options that this region can provide. We will stay in houses and hotels, no tents. Food will be adapted to the individual preferences of all participants, those who do not eat meat will also be happy!
- During our travels we will use comfortable Toyota 4WD SUVs and horses where necessary.
- Our speakers speak German, English and Russian.
Images by Max Muench
Price per person
We will be 7 photographers maximum and two speakers.
We prefer Western Union, VISA or master card, Payoneer.
To find out more about the event and the methods of payment, please contact me here.
Please note that it is a full-board tour. You do not need to pay additional fees – everything except air tickets is included.
- accommodation in hotels and private homes during the adventure
- transportation (incl. fuel), all transfers using 4WD SUV with comfortable seats
- Meals – vegetarian options available
- National park fees
- experienced local guides
- Professional photography guides with great knowledge of locations
- Airfare to Novosibirsk, Russia (example Berlin - 300 EUR return)
- Airfare from Ulgii to Ulan Bator (around 100 EUR) after the trip
- Medical insurance
- Visas (but we will prepare all needed documents for your visa – invitations, supporting letters etc)
- Alcoholic beverages
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with tripod
- Selection of lenses as you prefer
- e.g. wide angle lens such as 16-35 mm, f/2.8
- e.g. middle-zoom lens such as 24-70 mm, f/2.8
- e.g. prime lens 35 mm f/1.4
- e.g. telephoto zoom lens, such as a 70-200 mm, f/2.8 or f/4.0
- Your smartphone with battery pack
Full list will be sent to participants
- Waterproof / windproof / warm jacket and pants
(consider the average temperature +1 – +5 C at night and +10 – +20 C during the daytime)
- Your own sleeping bag
We chose to travel in the end of summer which is the statistically most dry and sunny season. It is still warm and there are almost no insects in the air. But it may be quite cold at nights and chilly (up to +5). So please prepare your wear. You may take even a suitcase on the tour, but I recommend to take a road pack or simple backpack – it makes it easier to store it.
Please take into consideration that - to secure the spot - we request a deposit of 1500 EUR. The policy is simple: if the tour is cancelled due to some disasters or political issues, the whole deposit will be returned. Otherwise it is non-refundable. In any case where tour is cancelled by any unforeseen circumstances, the deposit is refunded. The other part of the sum should be transferred 6 weeks before the start of the tour (by end of May). If you cancel the tour after 30 June, 50% of the sum is refunded. If you refuse of the spot in the tour after 31 July, the whole sum is non-refundable. You can secure your spot by deposit via bank transfer. Please inquire about any questions concerning your investment.